2008 Christmas socks for Dad
Recipient: Dad
Designer: Moi
Pattern: As yet untitled
Completed: June 3, 2008
Colours: 'Wedgewood': tweed of white, black and medium blue
Yarn: Scheepjes Invicta Extra
Completed status: Given as Father's Day gift instead
- 2008-Jun-20
- It hit me last weekend that I had nothing to give my dad for Father's Day. (Brilliant.) So I washed these socks, wrapped 'em up and gave them to him when we went to their place for dinner. They fit perfectly and he really likes them. Yay
Of course, this leaves me with no socks ready to give him for Christmas! So I'll have to whip up another pair sometime between now and December. Hm. This could be a good excuse to go buy more sock yarn...
- 2008-Jun-11
- These are done! And they're the first fully completed pair of socks done up in my new sock pattern (the original prototype for the pattern was just a single sock). I had my mom try them out because she has got to have the most sensitive feet in the world; so if the socks feel good on her feet, they'll feel good on anybody's feet. Since she's already worn them a bit around her home, I'm not sure they'll be going to my dad after all...but we'll see. There's plenty of time before Christmas. Although maybe I'll just give them to him for Father's Day...after a wash, of course!
- 2008-May-24
- This saw a bit of action this past week. Nothing huge, but progress is progress.
- 2008-May-14
- Coming along very nicely indeed. Except that DH tried the first one on and it seemed to be a tad short in the foot, so I'll have to lengthen that by two or three rows. But other than that - good stuff.
- 2008-May-5
- Fresh from my triumph with the prototype sock of my own design, I decided to use the same design for my dad's Christmas socks this year (to heck with what I'd been working on before), ripped out what I had, and re-cast on. I may continue to try putting some snazzy subtle twist-knit cables on it to change it up a bit...but I'm not sure.
- 2008-Mar-3
- In an effort to do something else according to The Schedule, I started on my dad's Christmas socks. I decided to use the tweedy 'Wedgewood' Invicta Extra yarn from Schjeepes that I was using for my Bayerische socks (for which I will instead be using my Lana Grossa Meilenweit 50 Seta/Cashmere yarn for those...yum yum). The socks will feature some subtle twisted-stitch cables of my own devising, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out. (I'll make the pattern available once it's done, as long as the socks don't suck.)
I wanted the socks to be toe-up, but I was kinda over the 'fish lips' look of a provisionally cast-on toe-up sock, so instead I turned to my copy of Folk Mittens, in which Marcia Lewandowski describes the 'Eastern' method of casting on for a closed tube. I've never done it before, and it worked bee-yew-tifully:

The camera unfortunately decided to focus on the live stitches instead of the bottom of the toe, but you can still see the seamlessness of it, I think. It is a seriously rockin' cast-on and I'm totally going to use it from now on.
Labels: dadsocks3