WIP Insanity
Individual pages for knitting projects from my main WIP Insanity blog

'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat

Scroll down to the December 1, 2007 entry for the pattern instructions.

Recipient: DH
Designer: Moi (if you can call it a real design)
Pattern: Very improvisational
Completed: November 29, 2007
Colours: Black
Yarn: Red Heart Comfort, 100% acrylic, thick worsted weight
Completed status: It's a hat. It works like a hat. Hooray.
Pictures:

2007-Dec-8
My devoted-wife, hat-replacing activities turned out to be completely for naught when my parents came over last week...they brought DH's hat with them, which he had left at their place earlir. A thousand curses. Oh, well. The new one is thicker and warmer, albeit definitely too short. I shall have to add some length...one or two inches, I think.

2007-Dec-1
Somewhere in the last week or so, DH misplaced his hat. He has no idea where it is. (The same goes for his reading glasses, about which I am even less thrilled, since they are rather more expensive to replace.) So I measured his head (23"), grabbed some black Red Heart Comfort (100% acrylic, thick worsted weight) from the stash and some 4.5mm DPNs, swatched, and whipped up a hat.

The pattern was devastatingly simple. I cast on 100 stitches and worked K1, P1 rib for 24 rows. Then I started stocking stitch, increasing into every 10th stitch on the first knit round so I was doing stocking stitch with 110 stitches. I knit until I figured it was a good time to start the decreasing (although in hindsight I should have worked about an inch more in stocking stitch). The decreasing went as follows:

Row 1: *K8, K2tog, repeat from * to end.
Row 2 and every even row: K.
Row 3: *K7, K2tog, repeat from * to end.
Row 5: *K6, K2tog, repeat from * to end.

I continued decreasing in this pattern until I was doing K2tog across the entire row. Then I knit another row plain, at which point I had 11 stitches. The final row was: K1, (K2tog) 5 times. Then I cut the yarn, drew the tail through the remaining 6 stitches, wove in the ends, and - tadah! - DH had a hat after a few hours of work. Easy as pie. Happy and grateful husband.

(He rather foolishly, however, semi-complained about the blackness and worsted weightness of the yarn. I think, when I said I would knit him a replacement hat, he had envisioned something kinda fancy. Right. Christmas is coming up, he loses his hat, I manage to fit knitting a replacement in, and he wants fancy?!? I effectively told him to shut it and stop complaining about the free hat. :) If he wants a 'fancy' one, I'll make him one in the new year.)

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


KEC>CmR+++>$ Exp+++ SPM++ Syn+ Nov- Cot Wool+ Lux+++ Stash+ Scale++ Fin Ent-- FI+ Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt Flat+ Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch@ KIP+++ Blog++ FO++ WIP+++ AltX+SwSp-

My Designs

ad-kwbtsfhat
NEW: KWB/TSF Hat (Doctors Without Borders fundraiser)
Buy now!
ad-sweetness
NOW FOR SALE: Sweetness
Buy now!
ad-childlegs
Child Legs
ad-dkblanket
Reversible Celtic Patterns Baby Blanket (PDF, 2.4MB)
ad-aroundtheblock
Around the Block baby blanket
Buy now!
ad-leafponcho
Leafy Baby Poncho
Buy now!
ad-lacyribs
Lacy Ribs Scarf
Buy now!
ad-losthat
'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat
ad-arabesque
Arabesque Baby Blanket (PDF, 142K)
ad-argyle
Baby Argyle Cardigan (PDF, 167K)
ad-cafepress
"Calliglorify" shop at cafepress.com

Webrings

Knitter's Review Member
List | Previous | Next | ?

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

GTA Knit Blogs
Previous | Next | Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Great Blogs

Cast On

The Panopticon

Rick Mercer's Blog

Yarn Harlot

Link Me

WIP 
Insanity

Powered by Blogger

"Don't quibble with me, I'm dreaming in technicolour."
--Arthur McLean