WIP Insanity
Individual pages for knitting projects from my main WIP Insanity blog

Fleur-de-lys socks

Recipient: Probably me
Designer: Moi, using motif redacted by Nancy Spies
Pattern: Untitled
Source: Motif from Here Be Wyverns
Due: N/A
Colours: Grey and steel blueCOLOURS
Yarn: 100% alpaca, lace-ish weight
Planned status: To start

2007-Jun-14
The browsing through my books continued, and I plucked Nancy Spies's Here Be Wyverns off the shelf. This, if you've never heard of it, is a glorious resource. She's basically gone through all kinds of medieval textile and other artwork from all over the place, and charted it all. If you do any kind of art or craft that can work from a chart - beadwork, quilting, mosaic, cross-stitch, whatever - you can use this book. I love it.

What got me this time was a gorgeous repeating pattern of fleur-de-lys on zigzag stripes. I desperately, desperately want to make socks or mittens out of it, using the leftover alpaca yarn from my grandmother's shawl:



Admittedly, I'm already using the blue for an Orenburg-style shawl, but at this point I don't much care, I want the socks. I don't think stacking the pattern repeats on top of each other would look very good, because that would make a bunch of zig-zags, which I think would clash with the look of the fleur-de-lys. So instead I think I'm going to separate each repeat of the pattern with a texture pattern using the grey. I think it will look stunning. I have no idea when I'm going to be able to cast on for it, though.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


KEC>CmR+++>$ Exp+++ SPM++ Syn+ Nov- Cot Wool+ Lux+++ Stash+ Scale++ Fin Ent-- FI+ Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt Flat+ Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch@ KIP+++ Blog++ FO++ WIP+++ AltX+SwSp-

My Designs

ad-kwbtsfhat
NEW: KWB/TSF Hat (Doctors Without Borders fundraiser)
Buy now!
ad-sweetness
NOW FOR SALE: Sweetness
Buy now!
ad-childlegs
Child Legs
ad-dkblanket
Reversible Celtic Patterns Baby Blanket (PDF, 2.4MB)
ad-aroundtheblock
Around the Block baby blanket
Buy now!
ad-leafponcho
Leafy Baby Poncho
Buy now!
ad-lacyribs
Lacy Ribs Scarf
Buy now!
ad-losthat
'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat
ad-arabesque
Arabesque Baby Blanket (PDF, 142K)
ad-argyle
Baby Argyle Cardigan (PDF, 167K)
ad-cafepress
"Calliglorify" shop at cafepress.com

Webrings

Knitter's Review Member
List | Previous | Next | ?

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

GTA Knit Blogs
Previous | Next | Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Great Blogs

Cast On

The Panopticon

Rick Mercer's Blog

Yarn Harlot

Link Me

WIP 
Insanity

Powered by Blogger

"Don't quibble with me, I'm dreaming in technicolour."
--Arthur McLean