Spiderman blanket
Recipient: Justin Miller
Designer: AnneM
Pattern: Spiderman Blanket
Source: muro.vuodatus.net
Due: About February 2009
Colours: Red and black
Yarn: Red: Patons Canadiana, 100% acrylic, worsted weight; black: Berella "4", 100% acrylic, worsted weight
WIP status: Probably about a third done
- 2008-Oct-31
- Some time ago, I think I mentioned that it was my plan to make sweaters for the children of the sister of one of my best friends. This was my meagre attempt to express my serious, serious gratitude to the children's mother for letting me have - completely free, although of course I offered to pay her - all her kids' outgrown clothes.
Unfortunately, it appears that the children are heat generators and never wear sweaters because they are never cold enough to want to wear them.
In response, I pointed out that I could knit the kids anything, and that it didn't have to be warm sweaters, it could be cotton hoodies, or (for the girl) a cotton dress, or hat/mitts/scarf sets...whatever. Knitting has almost infinite possibilities.
Recently, I received the reply that the kids could really use afghans for snuggling under while watching television. Bingo! Here was something I could totally do and have a lot of fun with.
The boy's favourite colours are red and black, and I found a super-cool-awesome pattern: the Spiderman Blanket (first pattern in list) by AnneM. In keeping with the colour scheme I was given, I'm using red and black only instead of the more technically-correct-for-Spiderman red, blue and black (my husband keeps harping on the fact that the lack of blue is incorrect; I keep telling him where to stuff it), and bought a bunch of red Canadiana acrylic from Patons and black Berella "4" from Bernat.
So far?
Really cool pattern. Unfortunately, I've kind of hit a wall - I now have too many stitches to fit nicely on the cable needle. I am using a Denise needle for this, though, so it ought to be a simple matter to add another cable insert, right? Well, that would certainly be the case if I could find the second join that came with the freakin' kit!!! It really does seem to have vanished into thin air and I have no idea where else to look. I thought perhaps I could buy one of those extra cables, because my LYS carries them...but do you know that the extra cable packet does not include an extra join piece?!? Does that make any sense! Augh!!!
Ahem.
As for the girl's blanket, I'm still waffling on what to do. Several ideas are swirling in the brain. I may design my own or use an existing pattern. Stay tuned.
Labels: spiderman