WIP Insanity
Individual pages for knitting projects from my main WIP Insanity blog

Child's snood

Recipient: DD1
Designer: N/A (vintage)
Pattern: Small doily
Source: Yarn Over
Completed: July 15, 2008
Colours: Red
Yarn: Unknown laceweight cotton
Completed status: I still need to take pictures of the completed item

2008-Jul-20
I finally blocked the snood this week. (Which took a bit of doing to get started, since my husband had been doing some sewing and the pins were down in his workshop instead of up in the workroom where they belong. It is mostly wonderful to have a crafty spouse...but sometimes a pain, too. I'm sure he feels the same way about me, especially when I teef his electronic caliper!)



As you can see, it cleaned up real purty. But I was still nervous about whether it would be big enough. The morning after the blocking, it was dry, so I unpinned it and took it to work along with the yarn. On the bus ride home, I twisted up a drawstring, threaded it through the lacy edging, and - tadah! - a snood. DD1 tried it on as soon as she got home and, to my great relief, it fit (although she will probably grow out of it a few years down the road). She wore it with great joy until dinner, when she wanted to take it off so she wouldn't get it dirty. I pointed out that she was unlikely to spill food up onto her head (I got a giggle out of that), but she was adamant so off it came. But I suspect she'll want to wear it again really soon, especially when we go to another SCA event. I should get DH to make her a little circlet to go with it!

2008-Jul-6
Last weekend, we packed up the kids and headed out to our first SCA event in quite a long time. Actually, I think the last event we'd gotten to was the same one the previous year! So it was lovely to see everyone and the weather was fortunately mostly good.

While there, my older daughter found out about snoods (one of her friends wore one with her court garb), and of course wanted one for herself. For some time, I've been thinking about how cool it would be to knit a lace doily and convert that to a snood, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity. I spent some time with DD1 on Ravelry, showing her pictures of doilies. She picked one that she liked, and decided she wanted it in red.

Friday night I got going on it, but by the next morning it was pretty obvious that not only had I screwed up (don't get me going on the accuracy of the chart), but it was not going to be big enough for a snood - not even a child-size snood. So I ripped it all out and re-started on Saturday with 4.5mm needles instead of 2.75mms.



I'm just finishing it up now and I'm still rather worried about its size, but I'll block it and see if that improves things any. If not, the kid will just have to choose a different doily pattern.

After I'm done this, I'd like to make another one for her out of cream yarn in a more impressively intricate pattern, to match her fanciest garb.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


KEC>CmR+++>$ Exp+++ SPM++ Syn+ Nov- Cot Wool+ Lux+++ Stash+ Scale++ Fin Ent-- FI+ Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt Flat+ Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch@ KIP+++ Blog++ FO++ WIP+++ AltX+SwSp-

My Designs

ad-kwbtsfhat
NEW: KWB/TSF Hat (Doctors Without Borders fundraiser)
Buy now!
ad-sweetness
NOW FOR SALE: Sweetness
Buy now!
ad-childlegs
Child Legs
ad-dkblanket
Reversible Celtic Patterns Baby Blanket (PDF, 2.4MB)
ad-aroundtheblock
Around the Block baby blanket
Buy now!
ad-leafponcho
Leafy Baby Poncho
Buy now!
ad-lacyribs
Lacy Ribs Scarf
Buy now!
ad-losthat
'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat
ad-arabesque
Arabesque Baby Blanket (PDF, 142K)
ad-argyle
Baby Argyle Cardigan (PDF, 167K)
ad-cafepress
"Calliglorify" shop at cafepress.com

Webrings

Knitter's Review Member
List | Previous | Next | ?

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

GTA Knit Blogs
Previous | Next | Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Great Blogs

Cast On

The Panopticon

Rick Mercer's Blog

Yarn Harlot

Link Me

WIP 
Insanity

Powered by Blogger

"Don't quibble with me, I'm dreaming in technicolour."
--Arthur McLean