WIP Insanity
Individual pages for knitting projects from my main WIP Insanity blog

Stretchy socks for Mom

Recipient: Mom
Designer: Debbi Young
Pattern: Sock It to Me Plain Toe-Up Socks for the Family
Source: elann.com
Due: Mother's Day? June 2? Christmas?
Colours: White
Yarn: Lana Grossa 41% cotton/39% superwash wool/13% polyamid/7% elité sock weight yarn
WIP status: Working on leg of sock #1

2008-Sep-16
I finally got the cast-on done properly and got going. I'm almost finished sock #1, but the foot seems way too small. I'm not sure how this happened, because the toe looks like it turned out as long as it was supposed to be, and, accordingly, I started the toe when the foot was as long as it was supposed to be, given how long the toe was supposed to be, and yet somehow the two lengths didn't work out to a nine-inch foot. I've lost count of how many times I've checked that my math was right (7 5/8 inches of pre-toe foot plus 1 3/8 inches of toe should equal 9 total inches of foot), so that's not the problem.

At this point I am studiously avoiding trying to find out what the problem is, because I'm sure the solution is going to be ripping back and knitting more foot. Or snipping the foot open and adding more length before grafting the foot back together. Either way, grumbling will be involved and I'm not ready to go there yet.

2008-Aug-27
And the sock jag continues. I decided I wanted to use my own pattern for these socks instead of the toe-up thing I had going before, so I ripped it out. However, I've started the cast-on about twice and it's not tight enough, so I'm going to have to do it again with smaller needles and then switch to bigger ones once I have the stitches all set up. (Insert grumbling here.)

2008-Mar-3
These are coming along very nicely, I've turned the heel and am ribbing up the leg:



But doesn't the provisional cast-on at the toe totally look like fish lips?



2008-Feb-25
Well, now that I finished my daughter's shrug, I can, as previously planned, use the rest of the white sock yarn for my mom. It's a cotton wool blend (plus some synthetics for stretchiness) that should be fine for her sensitive feet. I weighed what I have left - 63.5g - which should be enough at least for some ankle socks.

So why wait? (No, I don't want the answer to that. And as for you, Schedule, you shut up.) I cast on.



I would like to point out that the toes are not going to be pink-tipped when all is said and done. (Perish the thought.) The pink is actually a provisional cast-on so that I can graft the toe later. This is to eliminate any kind of seam at the toes so that the socks will be as comfortable for my mom's feet as possible.

They might be a Mother's Day present. Or birthday. Or Christmas. Clearly, I'm not sure.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


KEC>CmR+++>$ Exp+++ SPM++ Syn+ Nov- Cot Wool+ Lux+++ Stash+ Scale++ Fin Ent-- FI+ Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt Flat+ Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch@ KIP+++ Blog++ FO++ WIP+++ AltX+SwSp-

My Designs

ad-kwbtsfhat
NEW: KWB/TSF Hat (Doctors Without Borders fundraiser)
Buy now!
ad-sweetness
NOW FOR SALE: Sweetness
Buy now!
ad-childlegs
Child Legs
ad-dkblanket
Reversible Celtic Patterns Baby Blanket (PDF, 2.4MB)
ad-aroundtheblock
Around the Block baby blanket
Buy now!
ad-leafponcho
Leafy Baby Poncho
Buy now!
ad-lacyribs
Lacy Ribs Scarf
Buy now!
ad-losthat
'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat
ad-arabesque
Arabesque Baby Blanket (PDF, 142K)
ad-argyle
Baby Argyle Cardigan (PDF, 167K)
ad-cafepress
"Calliglorify" shop at cafepress.com

Webrings

Knitter's Review Member
List | Previous | Next | ?

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

GTA Knit Blogs
Previous | Next | Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Great Blogs

Cast On

The Panopticon

Rick Mercer's Blog

Yarn Harlot

Link Me

WIP 
Insanity

Powered by Blogger

"Don't quibble with me, I'm dreaming in technicolour."
--Arthur McLean