WIP Insanity
Individual pages for knitting projects from my main WIP Insanity blog

Foot-pampering socks for moi

Recipient: Moi
Designer: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Pattern: Yarn Harlot's Sock Recipe
Source: Knitting Rules!
Completed: August 23, 2008
Colours: Greens and duns, creams and orangey-browns
Yarn: Austermann "Step", 75% wool/25% nylon with aloe vera and jojoba oil, sock weight
Completed status: Happy feet!

2008-Aug-27
I've really been on fire, because this is also done! I'm really pleased with how they look, fit and feel, so hooray!

The completion of these socks means something else really good. It means that I now have socks from my pattern done up in large baby, child, woman and man sizes, which means that I can take a family photo of the socks on four different sizes of foot (the specific feet to be photographed of course belonging to me, my husband and my two girls). This will bring me one step closer to being able to send off the final version of the pattern. DH is working tonight, but maybe we can get everyone's socks on them on Thursday when we all get home.

2008-Aug-4
I had set this aside for a little bit out of frustration. When I got to the point where I could try it on, it seemed a little snug and tough to get on. This was quite frustrating, because I really didn't want to go back to the drawing board for the women's size, I wanted to finish the damn sock so I could take pictures, write up the pattern and send it the heck off! But of course if a pattern doesn't fit the people it's intended for, well, that's a pattern that pretty much sucks, so I absolutely had to fix the problem. The first step was to find out what constituted a "standard woman's foot". Finally around the middle of this week, I did some research to figure out girths, instep heights and whatnot, and determined that the sock I had was a pretty good match to what it was supposed to be. I also tried it on a second time, this time making sure that the vast volume of ends was more out of the way (thus interfering less with the fit) than when I'd first tried it on, and it went on a lot more easily. So I've concluded that it's just fine and I can keep going.

Unfortunately, Carrie K, there will not be any pictures immediately, nor of any of my other recent or in-progress sock projects because of pre-magazine-publication restrictions. But they're forthcoming, I promise!

2008-Jul-20
Naturally, I still needed to make woman-size socks with my new sock pattern. So I turned to the other sock project for myself that was in progress - a top-down pair using the Step yarn that I got for Mother's Day last year. I'd done most of the leg on the first sock, but again, that quickly vanished in my enthusiasm to re-start with my own pattern.

First sock is now coming along very nicely, but I tried it last night, and again I'm having a problem with the tightness around the instep. So I think I'm going to have to rejig the instructions there just a tad and have a do-over. But first I'm going to check online to see if there are any "standard woman foot size" measurements out there that can tell me whether the problem is my sock sizing, or whether my foot is just bigger than average. Either is possible.

But as usual, I am looooving this yarn. It's squooshy and smooth and you can totally feel the effects of the lotion without it being even the slightest bit oily. Love. It.

2007-Nov-9
This has been seeing some work when I'm stalled on other things and just want something quick to pick up. I think I'm going to start the heel flap at the end of the current colour stripe.

2007-Oct-7
This has come out again recently as something to do while hanging around supervising my older daughter. We've had gorgeous weather around here lately, and so we've been taking advantage of it by spending a lot of time at the local playgrounds. There's not much for me to do while DD1 clambers all over the ladders and bars and slides and whatnot, so when she's doing that, I've been working on the sock. (Naturally, the sock loses out when she wants to swing or play catch.) So it's starting to see some measurable progress:



2007-Sep-8
Absolutely no major progress has occurred, just a row or two done in front of my husband as a ruse, since I can't knit his sweater in front of him.

2007-Aug-20
I took this to the park a week or two ago to work on while DD1 clambered on the playscape and pranced in the waterpark. Just got a few rows done, but hey, progress is progress.

2007-Jul-13
These saw a little bit of action at the sock class as I demonstrated the techniques for knitting socks in the round, but we're not talking a whole lot of project progress.

2007-Jul-9
I need to be able to demonstrate knitting in the round on double-pointed needles for the class. Since I didn't have a sock-in-progress on double-pointed needles, I had to start one. I am using the Austermann Step yarn that I got for Mother's Day and I think it looks really good so far:

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


KEC>CmR+++>$ Exp+++ SPM++ Syn+ Nov- Cot Wool+ Lux+++ Stash+ Scale++ Fin Ent-- FI+ Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt Flat+ Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch@ KIP+++ Blog++ FO++ WIP+++ AltX+SwSp-

My Designs

ad-kwbtsfhat
NEW: KWB/TSF Hat (Doctors Without Borders fundraiser)
Buy now!
ad-sweetness
NOW FOR SALE: Sweetness
Buy now!
ad-childlegs
Child Legs
ad-dkblanket
Reversible Celtic Patterns Baby Blanket (PDF, 2.4MB)
ad-aroundtheblock
Around the Block baby blanket
Buy now!
ad-leafponcho
Leafy Baby Poncho
Buy now!
ad-lacyribs
Lacy Ribs Scarf
Buy now!
ad-losthat
'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat
ad-arabesque
Arabesque Baby Blanket (PDF, 142K)
ad-argyle
Baby Argyle Cardigan (PDF, 167K)
ad-cafepress
"Calliglorify" shop at cafepress.com

Webrings

Knitter's Review Member
List | Previous | Next | ?

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

GTA Knit Blogs
Previous | Next | Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Great Blogs

Cast On

The Panopticon

Rick Mercer's Blog

Yarn Harlot

Link Me

WIP 
Insanity

Powered by Blogger

"Don't quibble with me, I'm dreaming in technicolour."
--Arthur McLean