WIP Insanity
Individual pages for knitting projects from my main WIP Insanity blog

Wild socks

Recipient: DD1
Designer: Moi
Pattern: TBA
Completed: July 13, 2008
Colours: Wild variegation of red, yellow, turquoise, royal blue
Yarn: Super Socks Color
Completed status: She loves them! Still have to take photos, though.

2008-Jul-20
These were the bane of my existence for a while, I kept having to rip them out and redoing them. I was using the third-smallest size instructions. My first time out, the girth around the instep was waaay too small (and to add insult to injury, I'd made the feet far too long), so I re-jigged the size instructions to make things wider around the instep. The second time out I think I made the feet too short, so I had to rip them back and redo. Only after I'd done that did I discover that things were still too small around the instep.

Finally I came to the realisation that the size I was making was not adequate for my kid. This, plus the fact that the socks I'd made in the second-smallest size for my toddler were a wee bit too snug led me to changing the sizing structure of my pattern somewhat - instead of baby/toddler/young child/older child/woman/man, I went to newborn/older baby/toddler-slash-small-child/child/woman/man. Armed with the new sizing structure, I cast on again for these socks, this time using the fourth-smallest size (also known as the third-largest size).

At last...success. Except that I screwed up my math and initially made the foot too short.

Sigh.

FINALLY, on Monday I finished them and brought them home for DD1 to try on...and they fit. [insert angelic chorus here] Not only did they fit, but they have just exactly the right amount of looseness to them which tells me that they will fit her for a good while, and if I adjusted them later on to be longer in the foot, she'd probably be able to wear them for years to come. Hoo-freakin'-ray!

2008-Jul-6
I tried the first sock on DD1, and not only was the foot waaaay too long, but it was also too tight. It was almost impossible to actually pull it on. So I ripped it all out and started again, re-jigging my pattern instructions for the 'small child' size. I finished the second version of the sock, but I can't remember how it fit...actually, I can't remember if I even tried it on her at all! Although I think I might have not even bothered because the foot was too short. Hm.

The neat thing about this pair is that the yarn colours stripe in a very cool way. I'll be sure to post pictures once the pattern is published.

2008-Jun-20
I originally started these socks for DD1 as a toe-up pattern, and then stalled out for a while. Since coming up with my new sock pattern, I've been thinking about re-starting this project with the new pattern, so that I could test-drive the instructions for a child's size. So this week, I did. I haven't tried them on DD1's feet yet...I'm a little worried that they're a touch small girthwise and too long in the foot, so I really must remember to get her to try them on tonight.

2007-Jul-13
These saw a little bit of action at the sock class as I demonstrated the techniques for knitting socks in the round, but we're not talking a whole lot of project progress.

2007-Jul-9
This project is going to be the example of knitting with two circulars for the sock knitting class. So I knitted a little bit on it this weekend just to make it a bit bigger:



2007-May-31
On one of my first visits to Knitter's Attic, I noticed some very funky sock yarn that I thought might make some nifty socks for DD1 - "Super Socks Colour". When we did a whole-family trip over to the store one evening, I pointed it out to her and she said that yes, she'd like socks from it. So I bought a ball. This is going to be my demonstration piece for how to knit socks on two circular needles.



Admittedly, I've mostly been working this so far with the magic loop technique, but it's easy to switch over to 2 circs to show people that technique. Incidentally, I cannot BELIEVE how much easier it is to start this toe-up sock pattern with one or two circulars versus a set of DPNs. I will be starting all socks in this pattern with a circ or two from now on and then switching to DPNs to save myself the grief of wrestling the damn porcupine.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


KEC>CmR+++>$ Exp+++ SPM++ Syn+ Nov- Cot Wool+ Lux+++ Stash+ Scale++ Fin Ent-- FI+ Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt Flat+ Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch@ KIP+++ Blog++ FO++ WIP+++ AltX+SwSp-

My Designs

ad-kwbtsfhat
NEW: KWB/TSF Hat (Doctors Without Borders fundraiser)
Buy now!
ad-sweetness
NOW FOR SALE: Sweetness
Buy now!
ad-childlegs
Child Legs
ad-dkblanket
Reversible Celtic Patterns Baby Blanket (PDF, 2.4MB)
ad-aroundtheblock
Around the Block baby blanket
Buy now!
ad-leafponcho
Leafy Baby Poncho
Buy now!
ad-lacyribs
Lacy Ribs Scarf
Buy now!
ad-losthat
'Honey, I lost my hat' Hat
ad-arabesque
Arabesque Baby Blanket (PDF, 142K)
ad-argyle
Baby Argyle Cardigan (PDF, 167K)
ad-cafepress
"Calliglorify" shop at cafepress.com

Webrings

Knitter's Review Member
List | Previous | Next | ?

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

GTA Knit Blogs
Previous | Next | Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Great Blogs

Cast On

The Panopticon

Rick Mercer's Blog

Yarn Harlot

Link Me

WIP 
Insanity

Powered by Blogger

"Don't quibble with me, I'm dreaming in technicolour."
--Arthur McLean