Wheelie
Recipient: Our car
Designer: Pamela Grossman
Pattern: Wheelie
Source: Spring 2005 issue of Knitty
Completed: February 27, 2008
Colours: Baby blue
Yarn: Unknown eBay cone yarn, 100% cotton, sportweight
Completed status: Looks good! Hopefully it will protect our hands in summer.
Pictures:
- 2008-Mar-3
- After DH got home from work on Thursday, I went outside into the rather nippy cold and 'tied one on', so to speak.
It's good! It does obscure the dashboard a wee bit, but if I grab the top of it with my thumbs as part of my grip of the steering wheel, all is well.
- 2008-Feb-25
- It grows:

I measured our steering wheel today and discovered it has a circumference of 47.25", which means the cover should be 26 to 28 3/8" long. I'd originally estimated I needed to do seven repeats of the pattern, but this makes me think I should really do eight. We'll see how it goes once I get to seven.
- 2008-Feb-20
- I'm in a little bit of a weird place with The Schedule. Now that the blanket is done, DH's anniversary socks are done (he likes them, BTW), and the shrug is done, I'm supposed to be working on thank-you sweaters for my best friend's niece and nephew. Their mom gave me TONS of excellent hand-me-downs some months back, thus saving us GOBS of money. When we sent them a greeting card for New Year's, I offered to make her kids totally customized hand-knit sweaters as a thank-you. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from her yet, so I can't get started on them, no matter what The Schedule says.
So...what to do, what to do? I'm feeling that aimless blasé feeling that seems to come from finishing up loads of projects in a short amount of time. Nothing is really grabbing me right now. But I decided to be good and do something from The Schedule anyway. After all, with the weather being pretty cold right now and not looking like it's going to improve anytime soon, the logical thing to do is to make an anti-burned-hands steering wheel cover, right? Of course.

It's a pretty cool pattern, I must say.
- 2006-Aug-8
- Toronto-area blogland (and bloglands from other regions throughout North America) has been filled recently with descriptions of the incredible heat we've been experiencing lately. I wanted to be original and avoid discussing it, but I can't. Why? Because the heat has been making the steering wheel of our car so hot lately that DH has announced we need to fork out for a steering wheel cover. As soon as he said this I thought of this pattern. The heat has since gotten far more reasonable around here, but I think DH's desire for a steering wheel cover remains. I'm thinking of using the leftover blue tweed Sirdar acrylic/cotton/wool yarn from my daughter's Carnival Coat. Obviously I need to do some swatching but I think the gauge is about right.
Labels: wheelie