MP3 player cosy
Recipient: Moi
Designer: Moi
Pattern: To be designed
Due: Soon, hopefully
Colours: Black
Yarn: Scheepjes Invicta Extra, 75% wool/25% nylon, sock weight
WIP status: To rip and redo most of it
- 2006-Jun-22
- I cast on using my standard toe-up sock pattern and increased to 44 stitches. Then I just kept knitting, making double-yarnover holes wherever the buttons on the player were going to be. Once I got to the earphone plug, I stopped knitting in the round and started turning the work and purling back once I'd finished a row. Finally, I decreased to just a little flap and made that long enough to go over the top.

It was only after I'd finished doing all of this that I realised I'd completely blocked viewing access to the display window on the player.
Sigh.
I will be ripping it out and doing it again, this time making just a big honking hole in the middle where the window and surrounding buttons go.
- 2006-Jun-15
- The earbuds that came with my MP3 player have this really neat doohickey with a plastic loop on it, so that you can loop it around the buttons on your coat/shirt/whatever, and thus have your clothes hold your MP3 player for hands-free listening.
But last week, the part with the plastic loop unscrewed from the rest of the earbuds cord somewhere on the subway and was lost, presumably forever. (But I am optimistic - I keep checking the ground in the transit system in the hopes of spotting it. I did see one this week and snatched it up, but it didn't fit my player. So clearly I'm not the only one who has experienced this kind of loss.) And you know what? It's really damn convenient to have hands-free MP3 listening. Because after I lost the doohickey, I realised that when I knit standing up on the train, I don't have a spare hand to hold my player. So I either have to slip it into a pocket (which most of my work clothes don't have) or tuck it into the space between two buttons on my shirt (yeah, that's a barrel of fun, especially when it slips out and tries to pull the earbuds out of my ears as it falls). Or not listen to the player at all...which sucks. I want my knitting podcasts!
Bottom line? I need an MP3 player cosy. Something socklike, with a hole for the earbud cord, a handle to let me carry it hands-free, and a securable top flap to keep it safely inside. And maybe some strategic lace holes so I can access the buttons without taking the player out of the cosy.
Hey, I think I've found a use for the extra yarn from these socks!