Socks for me
Recipient: Moi
Designer: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Pattern: Knitting Rules!
Completed: September 11, 2007
Colours: Powder blue with coloured flecks
Yarn: Unknown, 67% acrlyic/25% wool/8% viscose
WIP status: Sock #1 done, working on heel flap of sock #2
Pictures:

completed

'in action'
- 2007-Sep-12
- Done!
- 2007-Sep-8
- Last night I switched to this about five minutes before I expected my husband to get home, and got a decent amount done. I've now finished the leg and am working on the heel flap.
- 2007-Aug-28
- I pulled this project out last night and got a few inches done on the leg, so it's slowly getting there. Em, I used a really basic toe - just decreased at the sides every other row, and then grafted it shut. (If that isn't enough of an explanation for you, let me know, I can go into more detail.)
- 2007-Aug-5
- Finished the first sock!

Ends woven in and everything! It took tremendous strength of character to cast on for the second one, but I actually did it. I'm hoping to have it finished pretty soon.
- 2007-Jul-13
- These saw a little bit of action at the sock class as I demonstrated the techniques for knitting socks in the round, but we're not talking a whole lot of project progress.
- 2007-Jul-9
- Last week sometime I decided to finally, finally teach myself the long-tail cast-on. I've been avoiding it for years - partly because I've been quite happy thus far with the knitted cast-on, and partly because my mom has demonstrated the long-tail cast-on to me a gajillion times and I was never able to get it so I figured it would take some serious concentration on my part to beat it into my brain. (She does some weird thing where she loops the yarn around her neck, it looks quite complicated.) But it's supposed to be a stretchy cast-on, and I figured I needed to have it under my belt since the socks we'll be doing in the class will be top-down.
I headed on over to Knitting Help for a video, practiced it for a while, and then I had it. I estimate that the watching, learning and practicing took somewhere between five and ten minutes. Why on earth did I wait so long to decide to buckle down and learn this?
Having acquired this new technique, I decided to rip out the inch or so I'd done on my sleep socks and re-cast-on using the long-tail method (and larger needles). This has now been done, and this project will be my example to the class of the magic loop technique.

- 2007-May-31
- I also needed a pair of socks on which to demonstrate the magic loop technique. So I grabbed some of 75/25 acrylic/wool that I recently came into possession of (more on that in a bit), put together a really long 3.75mm circular needle out of my Denise Interchangables kit, and started it up. If I ever finish the socks, they'll be for me.
- 2005-Aug-25
- Stealing DH's birthday socks to sleep in last week convinced me that I had to make a pair for myself. I don't know when I'm going to have the time, but somehow I must find it because, damn. Those socks were comfy.